Thursday, November 06, 2008

Mod Lang Endorses Barack Obama for President

Now THAT’S a maverick move.

Obviously, I never had to “endorse” Obama because I was “in the tank” for the guy from early on. Also, thanks to John McCain, I’ve developed a new love for “air quotes.”

OK, seriously, what should we talk about today?

I was thinking this morning of the low point of my day on Tuesday. We were frantically trying to get the house ready for the party. I had just gotten back from running out to buy ice and a few last minute supplies.

On our answering machine was a recorded message from the chair of the Obama campaign in Minnesota. He said that the vote was turning out to be much closer than expected in this state and the campaign was urgently asking people to meet at such-and-such a place to do last minute door knocking.

Then I checked some of the blogs and found that nationally, an email had gone out from the Obama campaign saying that several states were much closer than expected and they were calling for volunteers to do last-minute phone banking.

I almost started hyperventilating. The rational part of my brain knew that I shouldn’t panic, but after one election night where we thought Gore had won it, only to have it taken away, and another where the exit polls initially looked very good for Kerry, I couldn’t help but think, “It’s happening again.”

Of course, both here in Minnesota and nationally, the polls did not end up being closer than expected. I suspect both cases were simply tactics to motivate potentially complacent Obama supporters to get out and vote. Tall guy suggested that perhaps the Minnesota camp’s goal was to squeeze a few more Franken votes out of D districts. I guess they shoulda squeezed harder.

Anyhow, it made me pretty jittery there for a while. I didn’t really start to calm down until they called Pennsylvania.

No comments: