Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I voted

A crisp autumn day in Minnesota. Clouds have moved in since but when I got to the community building next to our public park, the sun was still shining. Leaves were hitting the group with a crackling sound, toddlers were playing in the park. A dad with an "I voted" sticker sat and watched his kids.

I had been listening to Al Green on the way there: "Love and Happiness."

"Love can make you do right," Al sang.

There were no lines. I'd heard about long lines there at 7:30am but although the polling place seemed nearly full I didn't actually wait at all.

"Unh. Unh. Ahhh," Al sang.

The poll workers were helpful, and not as uniformly elderly as they have been in the past. One told me that as of 11:15 am they had seen more than 1,000 people vote. In the 2004 election, a total of 2,200 people voted at that location.

"Hey hey hey," Al sang.

I looked at the ballot. Filled out the ballot. Looked at it a moment more. We've been waiting a long time for this.

"Walk away with victory," Al sang.

No comments: