Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Confession: I Only Watch CNN for the Maps

That, and Donna Brazile. Donna rocks.

So I'll probably be up late tonight, watching John King working the maps; pinching, squeezing, pushing ... ugh, I just totally grossed myself out.

I propose a drinking game for tonight's primary results: every time King stumbles over the name of a county in Oregon, take a drink. And if you don't think that will give you enough chances, here's a partial list: Clackamas, Multnomah, Wallowa, Deschutes (bless you!), Yamhill, Tillamook, and ... Clatsop!

("My friends they come around, say Clatsop Clatsop Clatsop Clatsop...")

But what to do about Kentucky? If we take a drink every time they mention working class white voters, we'll all be unconscious before the Oregon polls even close. Or whatever they do up there in their elitist, vote-by-mail state. What's with you, Oregon? Why can't you have messed-up voting machines and ballot shortages like all the other states?

I suggest a drink every time the phrase "Florida and Michigan" comes up during the Kentucky returns. We'll hear that a lot, but not so much that we'll wake up thinking Larry King carried 64 percent of the suspender vote in Malheur County.

prediction:
Kentucky - Clinton 62, Obama 30, Edwards 5, Bill Monroe 3
Oregon - Obama 60, Clinton 39

5 comments:

The Tall Guy said...

So how close was your predication?

Scott W. said...

KY: 65-30, Clinton
OR: 59-41 Obama
uncommitted drew 3 % in KY.

BTW, Ron Paul drew 15% in Oregon against Sen. McCain.

Huckabee and Paul combined for the same amount in KY.

Still a protest vote out there on the R side.

At the R state convention here in MN, Ron Paul was not allowed to speak. Karl Rove, whose former boss is just barely outpolling Paul, was the keynote speaker.

Doesn't seem fair.

The Tall Guy said...

What you think about Ron Paul on the R side, think about Joe Lieberman on the D side. Do you think Joe Lieberman will get to speak at the Democratic convention? Though, I admit, no one is voting for Joe Lieberman in the democratic primary process.

Scott W. said...

It's my understanding, and I could be wrong, that Lieberman is supporting McCain's candidacy and will speak at the R convention. Under those circumstances, I don't think we'll see him at the D convention, at least as a speaker.

I think Paul deserves to speak, but considering how critical he is of the Iraq War, and McCain's position on that, I don't see him speaking in prime time, to say the least.

The Tall Guy said...

I guess what I was trying to say, is that establishment Republicans probably dislike Ron Paul and much as establishment Democrats are starting to dislike Joe Lieberman. I'm actually kind of surprised Lieberman has not already left the Democratic Caucus. That libertarian wing that Ron Paul represents is so far right he actually comes around and starts sounding far left.

Suggestion for a future post - how about the former Republican congressman who is running as a libertarian. Some say he may be this elections Ralph Nader, but messing things up for the Republicans instead of the Democrats.