Tuesday, October 07, 2008

"That one" won

For the record, I don't think it should be that big a deal that John McCain referred to Obama as "that one" in tonight's debate. As Howard Finneman just said, it's not a racial thing, it's an Old Guy thing.

And this comes down to the crux of this contest, as I've been thinking for a long time. When the American people see these two guys together on stage, they see one young, dynamic, obviously smart, talented, guy. And they see one old, veteran politician, who despite his long service to his country, is simply not the future.

Our country needs to turn a corner, to take a new direction. We all know this. Who is going to lead us?

That one.

1 comment:

2fs said...

God, I hope so.

I'm actually fairly optimistic - I think some sort of corner's been turned, the economic collapse being a key eye-opener to people as to the essential bankruptcy of the Republican vision...and the sorts of vicious appeals to base feelings you characterized in a recent post (incidentally, Huffington Post provides some more details on those incidents) is frightening, but I think people are now inclined to reject that approach as not only harmful but as an indicator of the McCain campaign's sheer desperation.

That said, I won't truly feel out of the woods until after the election...hell, until after the nomination, since I can't utterly put it past the Bush Admin. to manufacture some sort of crisis to suspend indefinitely the transition to a new administration.