Friday, September 26, 2008

What did you think?

We watched most of the debate after getting back from the ER, our son had some weird stomache pains but seems ok now. So anyhow, a little family trauma made the debate just a little less important for me.

But now that things have settled down and I've seen some of the response by the cable talkers, I would say Obama has come out of the first debate better than I expected. My wife and I both thought McCain had a very strong performance, and considering how erratic McCain has been acting recently, he seemed pretty prepared and calm.

But both candidates appeared to hold their own, and the conventional wisdom seemed to be that McCain needed a knockout to change the dynamic of the race. Of course, conventional wisdom can be wrong. We'll see in the next couple of days.

I've noticed in comments on some of the political blogs this curious claim that Obama doesn't do well in unscripted events; that he needs a prepared speech or a teleprompter. It's a ridiculous claim, yet I've seen it quite a few times. I think tonight's debate is a pretty clear refutation of that. Although the folks that make these kinds of claims always seem pretty impervious to things like evidence and logic.

Anyhow, on to the vice presidential debates!

3 comments:

The Tall Guy said...

Congratulations on your special day today! I hope the boys are feeling better soon. Keep the posts coming - it's the only blog I can read and still sleep soundly at night.

Scott W. said...

Thanks, our little health scare was just a case of strep throat.

As far as sleeping soundly at night, that's why I recommend reading Mod Lang in bed.

The Tall Guy said...

Actually, I took your advice and watched the Lehrer Newshour to cure my insomnia. They got the four most moderate members of congress to all come on the air and agree about what should be done with the bailout. And it was boring. No wonder our country is in trouble, nobody can stay awake for the important stuff. Myself included.