Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The non-State of the Union

So officially, tonight's speech is not a State of the Union address. But still, same kinda deal. Joint session of Congress, lots of handshaking, introducing special guests, Dick Cheney glowering in the background... what? He's not a permanent part of the speeches??

God is truly good.

So anyhow, I suspect my lax blogging practices have ensured that most of my readership does not check the blog on a reg. basis, but if anyone reads this today and has five minutes, I'd be interested in hearing what you'd like to hear from President Obama tonight.

Personally, I hope he continues on his themes of tough times, responsibility, accountability, etc. This country has been, shall we say, delusional at times in the past few decades, but hopefully we're finally coming to accept that there are some real structural problems with our government and economy, and it's going to take some sacrifice and pain to solve them.

I'd like to hear a ringing endorsement of significant health care reform, but I have no idea how that's going to play out, and I wonder if even Obama does.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sacrifice, yes...but whose? My own little proposal: my guess is that, unless they're as irresponsible with their personal finances as they are with the nation's, most of the CEOs and upper-level executives of all these banks, etc., are smart enough to have trusts, funds, etc., for themselves and their families...and given their level of wealth, I'd imagine it would be extremely unlikely - especially given that a lot of these folks are middle-aged or later - that such trusts couldn't support them at, say, $200,000 annually without depleting the funds, exclusive of interest.

So why not have all these wealthy guys who got us into this forego all future income - salaries, bonuses, dividends and stock options when those become available again - to pay for all this, instead of passing the costs down to us poor shlubs who certainly never had the opportunity to make billions on crazed speculative instruments?

I wonder what number the combined future salaries (above $200,000) of all those folks might come to?

Granted: all that's as likely as a unicorn petting zoo being set up at the bottom of the ocean...but still.