Monday, August 25, 2008

Morning, Joe

So, we just got back from a few days on the North Shore, far from the city, jobs, internet connections, etc.

Did anything happen over the weekend?

Oh, that. Well, I can now crow about how I correctly picked Biden as Obama's VP choice. Me and about 4 billion other people.

I think it's a good choice; every candidate would've had strengths and weaknesses, but I like Biden's working-class background and lengthy foreign policy resume. All indications are that Biden will make an effective attack dog--and there seems to be some consensus around the idea that Obama needs one.

As I mentioned below, I also think the selection of Biden complicates things for McCain in picking a VP. Going with Pawlenty, who I think was a top contender, seems a little more dicey now because Biden might really take him apart in the VP debate, and might seem more "vice-presidential" in general. I'm kind of a fan of Pawlenty, but I really don't see that comparison working too well for the R's.

But then who does McCain go with? Romney was the other strong contender, but this whole "housing confusion" issue has got to make the McCain camp skittish about picking another ultra-wealthy guy. So now what? The Lieberman/Ridge trial balloon has not gone well for McCain, the R base is just not going to go for a pro-choice VP pick. Who does that leave?

You got me. I wonder if McCain might pick Sarah Palin or Carly Fiorina. One of the big problems demographically for McCain is that women break strongly for Obama (and in general for D candidates). However, with the Hillary issue, McCain seems to think he has an opening to pull in a few more women voters who are dissatisfied with how the Dem. primary came out. I personally doubt that the Hillary issue is that big of a deal, but McCain has been pushing that button pretty hard. So maybe go with a woman VP? That would also make it harder for Biden to dominate the VP debate--he would have to worry about coming on too strong against a female candidate and generating a backlash.

The problem for McCain is that most of the likely women contenders have their own downsides (lack of experience, for one). Hey, maybe he'll pick Michelle Bachmann. She's about as pro-life as you can get, a very gung-ho supporter of the military, and a poster girl for the religious right. She's also a little crazy, but in a pleasant, photogenic way.

Come on, John. Shake things up a little! McCain/Bachmann 08!

2 comments:

2fs said...

Ha! Meet my friend Steve...that's a familiar headline...

Scott W. said...

I still like my "Biden, his time" headline the best. Although I'm sure someone else also thought of that one.

Ted, thanks for the comment, there does seem to be some sort of "draft Palin" movement going on. I would say that Palin has her own downside (inexperience on national issues, some minor scandal as gov.) but it would be an interesting pick.

I still like Bachmann for VP, tho.