Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Are NOT fair and balanced! Are SO! Are NOT! Are SO!

The clash between Fox News and the White House has been interesting. Although I am a big critic of Fox, I admit not being real comfortable with a president declaring what is and what is not a news organization. Shouldn't be up to politicians to decide that. However, having said that, I think the Obama Admin. is entirely correct when they say that Fox is the "opposition press" or an arm of the Republican Party.

It's a totally partisan news channel. The attacks against Obama are nonstop, even during news programming (as opposed to their "opinion" shows--which curiously seem to set the agenda for their "news" shows.) When a Fox VP said the White House couldn't tell the difference between Fox' news and opinion programming, all I could say was "Neither can I!"

If Fox admitted to being a partisan media source they'd lose credibility to some degree. That's why they fight the notion so strongly. But I think most people see through the charade. And in the end, I don't think Fox' audience *cares* about that issue. They *want* a news channel that reinforces their politics. Fox is there to serve them. But it's a media form that dare not speak its name.



I also note: regardless of whether it's an "opinion" or "news" show, the "Fox News" symbol is rotating in the lower left corner at all times. Shouldn't they label the opinion programs as such?

No comments: